The Asian and Pacific Training Centre for ICT for Development (APCICT/ESCAP) and Incheon Metropolitan City will be organizing the APCICT Digital Leaders Programme. The event will be held in Incheon, Republic of Korea, from 7 to 11 November 2022.
The event aims to identify priority capacity building needs that need to be reflected in the Centre's Academy programme as well as to discuss ways to enhance the contents of the training modules. It will also provide a platform to exchange experiences and lessons learned on national ICT capacity building strategies and programmes and to share perspectives and good practices on effective ICT capacity building.
The APCICT Digital Leaders Programme will be held in Incheon, Republic of Korea, from 7 to 11 November 2022.
This information note is dated 31 October 2022. As regulations and policies related to visa and entry are continuously changing, participants who are traveling to the Republic of Korea are advised to keep up to date with COVID-19 and travel policies. Preparations for travel should be done in advance in anticipation of delays. The latest information on COVID-19 entry regulations can be found at this link: https://english.visitkorea.or.kr/enu/TRV/TV_ENG_1_COVID.jsp
Sequence of meeting
Monday 7 to Tuesday 8 November
APCICT Digital Leaders Programme
The Opening ceremony will take place on Tuesday 8 November, at 5:00pm
Wednesday 9 November
Visiting smart/green industrial facilities in Incheon
Thursday 10 to Friday 11 November
APCICT Digital Leaders Programme
*Registration will be open from 9:00 am. Participants will be provided with badges. For identification and security purposes, all participants are requested to wear their meeting badges at all times throughout the event.
- Ballroom, 2nd floor, Holiday Inn Incheon Songdo
- Address: 251 Incheon Tower-Daero, Yeonsu-gu, Incheon, 406-840, Republic of Korea
- Website: http://holidayinnincheonsongdo.com
Questions related to this event may be addressed to:
- Ms. Nuankae Wongthawatchai, Programme Officer, APCICT, by email (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Mr. Ho-Din Ligay, Team Assistant, APCICT, by email (email@example.com) or telephone (+82-10-8689-1842)
APCICT has adopted a paperless approach to meetings. As a result, participants are expected to get acquainted with all the meeting documents prior to the meeting. Should participants wish to print hard copies of the documents, they are expected to bring them to the meeting.
Visa and Entry Requirements
Participants are REQUIRED to obtain an appropriate entry visa from the Korean Embassy before entering the Republic of Korea.
K-ETA or Visa
Participants from eligible, visa-exempt countries can opt to obtain a short-term Korea Electronic Travel Authorization (K-ETA) instead of a multiple entry/exit visa. This is at the choice of the participant, although it is recommended by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA) of the Republic of Korea that all participants obtain a multiple entry/exit visa.
Participants from visa exempt countries who choose to apply for a K-ETA should apply using the K-ETA system before departure on the website: https://www.k-eta.go.kr/portal/apply/index.do
Participants who choose to obtain a K-ETA are advised to do so as soon as possible. A list of countries that are visa exempt and eligible for the K-ETA system can be found here: K-ETA Guide > K-ETA Application Eligibility Guide > K-ETA
Visa Application Process
Participants requiring visas (i.e., those not from visa exempt countries) should undertake the following steps as soon as possible to ensure they are able to receive their visa for the Republic of Korea in time for travel:
- Visa applications should be sent by participants to embassies or consular offices for the Republic of Korea in their respective country of residence at least four weeks prior to departure.
- Visa applicants are required to submit their passport, completed application forms, a recent passport-size color photograph, and other relevant documents, as may be determined by the Embassy/Consular Offices.
- Participants are invited to consult with the KOREA VISA PORTAL for further details.
Please note that arranging any required transit visas is a responsibility of the participant. Letters of invitation issued by APCICT may be used in support of visa applications, including for transit visas. For assistance with invitation letters, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Participants who are unwell or symptomatic of COVID are requested to avoid traveling.
Recommendations for pre-departure
It is recommended that all participants bring physical copies of travel-related documentation with them, including:
- COVID-19 vaccination certificate (in English)
- QR-Code to be issued before departure at this link: https://cov19ent.kdca.go.kr/
All travelers are required to purchase and bring physical proof of travel/health insurance coverage for the full duration of their stay which includes COVID-related medical and hospitalization expenses.
Travel to the Republic of Korea
COVID testing requirements of any transit point in the flight itinerary to the Republic of Korea should be taken into account.
Arrival to the Republic of Korea
As of 1 October 2022, the Government of the Republic of Korea has lifted the post-entry PCR testing requirement. Inbound travelers are no longer required to take a PCR test upon arrival and report their negative test result within 24 hours.
All travelers are still required to obtain a QR code by registering on the Q-code website before entering the Republic of Korea. The Q-code system accepts applications from 3 days before the departure date until the arrival date.
All participants will arrive at Incheon International Airport Terminal 1 or Terminal 2, which is connected to all major cities around the world.
Taxis are available between the airport and the hotel. All Korean taxis are metered. Please proceed to the taxi stands, which are located on the arrival floor (1st Floor). The cost of a taxi from the airport to the Songdo is approximately KRW 50,000. It takes about 30 minutes.
Not all Korean Bus / Taxi drivers can speak English, please show the message below:
Holiday Inn, Incheon Songdo
홀리데이인 인천 송도 호텔 (인천광역시 연수구 인천타워대로 251)
Self-funded participants are responsible for their own hotel bookings and should contact the hotel of their choice directly. Any cancellations, postponements or other changes should be notified at least three working days (not counting Saturday or Sunday) in advance. Participants are responsible to pay directly to the hotel all expenses incurred by them.
A list of recommended hotels is provided below:
- Holiday Inn Incheon Songdo (Meeting venue): http://holidayinnincheonsongdo.com
- Orakai Songdo Park Hotel: https://songdo.orakaihotels.com/eng
- Hotel Skypark Incheon Songdo: http://skyparkincheonsongdo.com/en/index.php
*This section only applicable to participants sponsored by APCICT.
- Accommodation will be arranged at Holiday Inn Incheon Songdo with the booking made and costs covered by APCICT directly according to flight schedules.
- Daily Subsistence Allowances (DSA) will be provided according to UN rules and regulations. The DSA will cover the cost of meals, visa fee, terminal fee to/from airports, and miscellaneous expenses. The DSA will be provided for the duration of actual participation in the meeting. In order to facilitate the payment of DSA, participants are requested to submit a copy of passport, original boarding pass(es), and a copy of air ticket to the designated APCICT staff. We will inform you of the location and time of DSA Distribution. The signing sheet will be provided every day at the registration desk for the participants’ signatures. DSA will be distributed with respect to the actual number of days participants attend the meeting.
Specific measures during your stay
Before the meeting:
- Be aware of the signs and symptoms of respiratory illness and how to manage it.
- Please make sure that:
- you have not tested positive for COVID-19 in the last 7 days
- you have not had symptoms consistent with COVID -19 in the last 7 days
- you have not had any close contact with a confirmed or probable case of COVID-19 in the last 7 days
- you accept to comply with the COVID-19 infection prevention measures in place
- Ensure that you have your health insurance card or information with you at all times.
- Stay at home or in your accommodation if you or your household feels unwell, develop a fever and/or respiratory symptoms.
- All personnel entering the meeting venue, whether on foot or using their own transport, are subject to thermal screening at the entrance. If a person has a temperature higher than 37.3 degrees Celsius, s/he should not enter the meeting venue.
During the meeting:
Health and safety are a priority at this event, and strict COVID-19 protocols will be maintained as per the requirements of the Korea Disease Control and Prevention Agency (KDCA). The preventative measures that will apply to all participants include:
- Wearing a face mask. Participants will be required to wear a mask at all times except when eating or drinking. At the time of writing (late October 2022) the Republic of Korea (ROK) has relaxed the requirement to wear masks outdoors where you can maintain physical distance from those around you. Masks are a mandatory requirement indoors.
- Maintaining physical distance. Participants will be requested to maintain 1.5 meters of distance between themselves. Every effort is being made to provide adequate physical space to support distancing between participants. It is important that all attendees avoid shaking hands, kissing or hugging, and comply with guidance around maintaining physical distance at all times.
- Good personal hygiene. All participants will be provided with access to hand sanitizer.
- Symptomatic or positive COVID Cases. If at any point a participant tests positive for COVID or experiences COVID symptoms, even if only mild, they will be advised to stay at their accommodation and contact APCICT personnel. If a participant tests positive on a rapid antigen test, a confirmation PCR test will be required, and will be coordinated by APCICT. The cost of medical treatment and quarantine related to COVID-19 will be solely covered the participants.
FAQ for meeting participants:
- I have an important role or presentation to make, and I am unwell. What should I do?
- You should not attend the meeting. Speak with the organizers to have a back-up plan activated such as a video-recorded message, videoconference arrangements etc.
- Should I or other participants who are well wear face masks?
- YES, it is mandatory to wear face masks all the times except when you are taking the floor to speak in a conference/meeting room or when you are consuming food/drinks in catering venues. On these occasions, you need to keep a good physical distance from others.
Departure from the Republic of Korea
All participants are responsible to check their government official websites and arrange their own pre-departure tests for outbound travel to their home country. It is recommended that participants use the testing facilities at Incheon Airport to obtain any required COVID tests for departure from the Republic of Korea. Please refer to this website Incheon International Airport > COVID-19 Free Airport for details of testing and to make a booking.