The Asian and Pacific Training Centre for ICT for Development (APCICT/ESCAP) and the Ministry of Science and ICT of the Republic of Korea are co-organizing the Regional Launch of the Capacity Building Programme on Frontier ICTs for Sustainable Development. The event will be held in Incheon, Republic of Korea, from 5 to 7 September 2022, and will be conducted in a combination of physical and virtual means to take account of travel restrictions brought about by the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) pandemic.
As of 1 September 2022
For participants who are traveling to the Republic of Korea, please be advised that this information note is dated 1 September 2022. As regulations and policies related to visa and entry are continuously changing, it is advised that participants should keep up to date with COVID-19 and travel policies. Preparations for travel should be done in advance in anticipation of delays. The latest information on COVID-19 entry regulations can be found at this link:The latest information on COVID-19 entry regulations can be found at this link: https://english.visitkorea.or.kr/enu/TRV/TV_ENG_1_COVID.jsp
Only participants who have received the FULL vaccination recommended by the WHO are eligible to participate in this training. Vaccinations recognized by the Korea Disease Control and Prevention Agency (KDCA) are those that are recommended by the WHO: covid-19-vaccines/advice
All participants must complete an online form and register at https://indico.un.org/event/1002180/registrations/
- For ON-SITE international participants, please select Registration Form A
- For ON-SITE participants residing in the Republic of Korea, please select Registration Form B
- For VIRTUAL participants, please select Registration Form C
SEQUENCE OF MEETING
Monday 5 (AM) September
Opening Session and Regional Launch
Monday 5 (PM) – 7 September
|Capacity Building workshop|
*Registration will be held from 09:30 hours on the first day of the meeting, 5 September 2022. Participants will be provided with badges. For identification and security reasons, all participants are requested to wear their meeting badges at all times during the meeting.
- Rose hall, 2nd floor, ORAKAI Songdo Park Hotel
- Address: 151, Techno Park-ro, Yeonsu-gu, Incheon, Republic of Korea
- Website: https://songdo.orakaihotels.com/eng
Questions related to this event may be addressed to:
- Ms. Nuankae Wongthawatchai, Programme Management Officer, APCICT, by email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or telephone (+82-32-458-6676) and
- Mr. Ho-Din Ligay, Team Assistant, APCICT, by email (email@example.com) or telephone (+82-32-458-6657)
APCICT has adopted a paperless approach to meetings. As a result, participants are expected to get acquainted with all the meeting documents prior to the meeting. Should participants wish to print hard copies of the documents, they are expected to bring them to the meeting.
VISA AND ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
Participants are REQUIRED to obtain an appropriate entry visa from the Korean Embassy before entering the Republic of Korea.
K-ETA or Visa
- Participants from eligible, visa-exempt countries can opt to obtain a short-term Korea Electronic Travel Authorization (K-ETA) instead of a multiple entry/exit visa. This is at the choice of the participant, although it is recommended by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA) of the Republic of Korea that all participants obtain a multiple entry/exit visa.
- Participants from visa exempt countries who choose to apply for a K-ETA should apply using the K-ETA system before departure on the website: https://www.k-eta.go.kr/portal/apply/index.do
- Participants who choose to obtain a K-ETA are advised to do so as soon as possible. A list of countries that are visa exempt and eligible for the K-ETA system can be found here: K-ETA Guide > K-ETA Application Eligibility Guide > K-ETA
Visa Application Process
Participants requiring visas (i.e., those not from visa exempt countries) should undertake the following steps as soon as possible to ensure they are able to receive their visa for the Republic of Korea in time for travel:
- Visa applications should be sent by participants to embassies or consular offices for the Republic of Korea in their respective country of residence at least four weeks prior to departure.
- Visa applicants are required to submit their passport, completed application forms, a recent passport-size color photograph, and other relevant documents, as may be determined by the Embassy/Consular Offices.
- Participants are invited to consult with the KOREA VISA PORTAL for further details.
- Please note that arranging any required transit visas is a responsibility of the participant. Letters of invitation issued by APCICT may be used in support of visa applications, including for transit visas. For assistance with invitation letters, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- Participants who are unwell or symptomatic of COVID are requested to avoid traveling.
Required Documentation for pre-departure:
It is recommended that all participants bring physical copies of travel-related documentation with them, including:
- Pre-departure PCR test result or administered rapid antigen test (RAT) result (in English) for travelers arrive the Republic of Korea before 3 September 2022. (For travelers arrive the Republic of Korea from 3 September 2022 (0.00am), pre-departure PCR test result is no longer required.
- COVID-19 vaccination certificate (in English)
- Q-Code System QR-Code (to be issued before departure at this link: https://www.cov19ent.kdca.go.kr)
- Reservation PCR test on arrival at the Incheon airport (at this link: safe2gopass.com/)
All travelers are required to purchase and bring physical proof of travel/health insurance coverage for the full duration of their stay which includes COVID-related medical and hospitalization expenses.
PRE-DEPARTURE TO THE REPUBLIC OF KOREA
COVID Entry Requirements
At the time of writing (1 September 2022), the Government has lifted the pre-departure testing requirements for entry to ROK, effective from 3 September 2022. However, the participants who will enter ROK before 00:00 hours of 3 September (GMT +9) are subjected to:
- Pre-Departure COVID Test: All participants (who enter ROK before 3 September) will be required to arrange their own pre-departure tests and provide a negative test result to clear them for outbound travel from their home country. Either a negative PCR test results (Print) 48 hours before the date of departure, OR a negative administered rapid antigen test (RAT) 24 hours before the date of departure.
COVID testing requirements of any transit point in the flight itinerary to the Republic of Korea should also be taken into account.
The Secretariat strongly recommends choosing to obtain a PCR test pre-departure.
Please note that the ROK government does not recognize overseas COVID recovery certificates. If you contract COVID in the days prior to departing for ROK, you will still be required to provide a negative PCR or administered rapid antigen test result in order to travel, even if you have recovered from COVID and have a valid recovery certificate.
Please refer to the Incheon Airport website for updated information on pre-departure, arrival and quarantine at https://www.airport.kr/ap_cnt/en/svc/covid19/quaranti/quarantine.do
Q-Code system: ROK has introduced the Q-code system to streamline assessment processes on arrival to Korea. The system will record your information, including passport, flights, PCR/antigen test result, and vaccination details, and generate a QR code to show at the airport on arrival. While not a mandatory requirement of entry, it is recommended to submit your details and documentation in advance of travel through the Q-Code system, as it will make your trip through the airport on arrival much faster.
ARRIVAL TO THE REPUBLIC OF KOREA
PCR Test on Arrival:
The most expedient way of obtaining a PCR test is to be tested immediately on arrival at Incheon Airport at the testing facilities available at both terminals. Please refer to this website Incheon International Airport > COVID-19 Free Airport for details of testing, the location of the facilities, and to make a reservation corresponding with your scheduled time of arrival. We recommend booking the Safe2Go service for testing at the airport; The cost for this test is KRW80,000.
- Participants are required to self-quarantine until receiving negative test result;
- Participants can access all modes of transportation including public transportation to go to their self-quarantine accommodation location.
Positive PCR Test on Arrival or During stay
Any participant whose PCR test on arrival is positive will be required to quarantine for 7 days in a government quarantine facility. This will be at the participants’ own cost. The cost of government quarantine is approx. KRW150,000 per day. Any participant who is quarantined will be automatically released from quarantine on Day 7, at midnight.
COVID-19 MEASURE DURING YOUR STAY
Health and safety are a priority at this event, and strict COVID-19 protocols will be maintained as per the requirements of the Korea Disease Control and Prevention Agency (KDCA). The preventative measures that will apply to all participants include:
- Wearing a face mask. Participants will be required to wear a mask at all times except when eating or drinking. At the time of writing (early September 2022) the Republic of Korea (ROK) has relaxed the requirement to wear masks outdoors where you can maintain physical distance from those around you. Masks are a mandatory requirement indoors.
- Maintaining physical distance. Participants will be requested to maintain 1.5 meters of distance between themselves. Every effort is being made to provide adequate physical space to support distancing between participants. It is important that all attendees avoid shaking hands, kissing or hugging, and comply with guidance around maintaining physical distance at all times.
- Good personal hygiene. All participants will be provided with access to hand sanitizer.
Verification of PCR test on arrival. Upon arriving in Korea, all travelers are required to take a PCR test within one day after arrival regardless of vaccination or age, and must upload the results into the Q-code System. For the avoidance of doubt, in order to minimize the risk of COVID transmission among participants, the Secretariat will require participants to share their negative PCR test on arrival by emailing their result to email@example.com. This should be done prior 8:00am of 5 September 2022.
- Daily rapid antigen testing. At the registration, participants will receive rapid antigen tests sufficient for daily use during the event. All participants will be required to monitor themselves for symptoms and take a self-administered rapid antigen test on a daily basis, which should be completed each morning before attending events or meetings with other participants.
- Symptomatic or positive COVID Cases. If at any point a participant tests positive for COVID or experiences COVID symptoms, even if only mild, they will be advised to stay in their accommodation and contact APCICT personnel. If a participant tests positive on a rapid antigen test, a confirmation PCR test will be required, and will be coordinated by APCICT. The cost of medical treatment and quarantine related to COVID-19 will be solely covered the participants.
SPECIFIC MEASURES BEFORE & DURING THE MEETING
Before the meeting:
- Be aware of the signs and symptoms of respiratory illness and how to manage it.
- Please make sure that:
- you have not tested COVID-19 symptoms in the last 7 days
- you have not had symptoms consistent with COVID -19 in the last 7 days
- you have not had any close contact with a confirmed or probable case of COVID-19 in the last 7 days
- you accept to comply with the COVID-19 infection prevention measures in place
- Upon submission of the above-mentioned online self-declaration form, you will receive a clearance email from the APCICT team.
- Ensure that you have your health insurance card or information with you at all times.
- Stay at home or in your accommodation if you or your household feels unwell, develop a fever and/or respiratory symptoms.
- All personnel entering the meeting venue, whether on foot or using their own transport, are subject to thermal screening at the entrance. If a person has a temperature of >37.3 degrees Celsius, s/he should not enter the meeting venue.
During the meeting:
- Follow instructions as provided by the organizer
- Wear face masks all the time, sit in designated areas and keep physical distancing.
- Wash or sanitize your hands frequently – after coughing, before preparing food or eating, after toilet use, after contact with ill persons, and during exposure to high traffic public areas.
- Avoid sharing personal items.
- If you feel unwell while in the meeting, do not ignore – report immediately to the meeting organizer.
- Health care if you are unwell.
- When feeling unwell while in the meeting: Anyone who develops a fever and/or respiratory symptoms while already within the meeting venue is advised to call APCICT staff at +82 10 8689 1842 for further guidance.
FAQ’s for meeting participants
- I have an important role or presentation to make, and I am unwell. What should I do?
- You should not attend the meeting. Speak with the organizers to have a back-up plan activated such as a recorded video message, videoconference arrangements etc.
- Should I or other participants who are well wear face masks?
- YES, it is mandatory to wear face masks all the time except when you are taking the floor to speak in a conference/meeting room or when you are consuming food/drinks in catering venues. On these occasions, you need to keep a good physical distance from others.
DEPARTURE FROM THE REPUBLIC OF KOREA
All participants are responsible to check their government official websites and arrange their own pre-departure tests for outbound travel to their home country. It is recommended that participants use the testing facilities at Incheon Airport to obtain any required COVID tests for departure from the Republic of Korea. Please refer to this website Incheon International Airport > COVID-19 Free Airport for details of testing and to make a booking.
Self-funded participants are responsible for their own hotel bookings and should contact the hotel of their choice directly. Any cancellations, postponements or other changes should be notified at least three working days (not counting Saturday or Sunday) in advance. Participants are responsible to pay directly to the hotel all expenses incurred by them.
A list of recommended hotels is provided below.
- Orakai Songdo Park Hotel (Meeting Venue): https://songdo.orakaihotels.com/eng
- Hotel Skypark Incheon Songdo: http://skyparkincheonsongdo.com/en/index.php . Walking distance to the meeting venue is about 10 minutes (519m)
- Central Park Hotel : http://www.centralparkhotel.co.kr/en-sdHotel/. Walking distance to the meeting venue is about 10 minutes (530m)
*This section only applicable to participants sponsored by APCICT.
Daily Subsistence Allowances (DSA) will be provided according to UN rules and regulations. The DSA will cover the cost of meals, visa fee, terminal fee to/from airports, and miscellaneous expenses. The DSA will be provided for the duration of actual participation in the meeting. In order to facilitate the payment of DSA, participants are requested to submit a copy of passport, original boarding pass(es), and a copy of air ticket to the designated APCICT staff. We will inform you of the location and time of DSA Distribution. The signing sheet will be provided every day at the registration desk for the participants’ signatures. DSA will be distributed with respect to the actual number of days participants attend the meeting.
COVID Test fee for the pre-departure test from the home country and the arrival test in the Republic of Korea which are compulsory tests to enter the Republic of Korea will be covered for the sponsored participants. Please bring receipts of the tests and submit them to the designated APCICT staff.
Accommodation will be arranged at ORAKAI Songdo Park Hotel with the booking made and costs covered by APCICT directly according to flight schedules.
All participants will arrive at Incheon International Airport Terminal 1 or Terminal 2, which is connected to all major cities around the world.
Taxis are available between the airport and the hotel. All Korean taxis are metered. Please proceed to the taxi stands, which are located on the arrival floor (1st Floor). The cost of a taxi from the airport to the Songdo is approximately KRW 50,000. It takes about 30 minutes.
Not all Korean Bus / Taxi drivers can speak English, please show the message below:
ORAKAI Songdo Park Hotel
오라카이 송도파크 호텔 (인천광역시 연수구 테크노파크로 151)
Hotel SKYPARK Incheon Songdo
호텔 스카이파크 인천 송도 (인천광역시 연수구 컨벤시아대로 233)
Central Park Hotel
송도센트럴파크호텔 (인천광역시 연수구 테크노파크로 193)